What is it exactly and what colour was this flying boat?

From the Singapore and Southampton through to the Short Empire

What is it exactly and what colour was this flying boat?

Postby seawings » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:02 pm

Hi All,

Here's one that has stumped me somewhat; does anyone have accurate knowledge of what this particular flying boat is exactly and more importantly, what colours were used in painting it?

All contributions will be gratefully received....!

Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Re: What is it exactly and what colour was this flying boat?

Postby seawings » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:03 pm

BTW: I'd hazard a guess at a Felixstowe F.5...?
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
seawings
Site Admin

Postby AlexNortonesq » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:49 pm

It seems as if the photo is part of the Harold Kantner Special Collection in the San Diego Air & Space Museum, and someone has described it as a Curtiss H-16. Another site shows a picture with a caption written on the photo "America Trans Oceanic Co." Wikipedia has an entry for America Trans-Oceanic Company. It was started by Rodman Wanamaker, who put up the prize for crossing the Atlantic that Glenn Curtiss & John Porte were trying to claiming 1914 with America. Big Fish was Trans-Oceanic's H-16 and it flew between Palm Beach, Havanna, Nassau, and New York. In 1921 the Big Fish, Curtiss H-16 was destroyed in a crash.

As for colours - no idea. Maybe the curator at the Museum that houses the collection of photographs can help.

Alex
Last edited by AlexNortonesq on Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexNortonesq

Postby seawings » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Hi Alex,

Yes, you are correct that is where the photo's and other originate. but, what a connundrum they cause......

The reason I ask is that I have a very good contact that wants to build this as a flying model, but who - like me - has no idea what the colours are.

And, yes, it could well be an H-16.

Thanks,
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

seawings
Site Admin

Postby AlexNortonesq » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:44 pm

Bryan: On another forum, I found this quote: "Years ago, When The Seattle Museum Of Flight acquired my ten crates of Original Wright company and Curtiss Company archives, they recorded a very detailed list (down to describing each PAGE, photo, and document!) There was one brown folder with the original series of correspondence/letters between Rodman Wanamaker and Glenn Curtiss, JUST on the subject of the TransOceanic planes. The specifications changed drastically, during those discussions, as they eveolved. I believe one can obtain copies or info on this series of information, from the Museum's Library Services. Their detailed listing,with dates, subjects and names and content, are listed and recorded, and easily read, on the Internet, by the Museum, so every single page,may be researched, Their library and archives are so vast, that I forget exactly which page or section they are in. But start in the Library archives, and find the itemization and records of The Wright Company archives. or the Curtiss company archives. MANY pages of Index to go through. But fascinating and well worth it. Readable right at home, on your computer.
(NOT the entire document, -due to vast quantity-but good description of each one)"

Somewhere in the correspondence between Wanamaker and Curtiss there could be a mention of the colouring of the finish, if Wanamaker had Curtiss paint it that way at the factory.

Something to think about.

Alex
AlexNortonesq

Postby longshot » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:43 pm

There's a photo of 'Big Fish' of Aeromarine Airways on ebay now....not cheap but scanned in a publicly-spirited way :-)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AEROMARINE-AI ... 3cfb8d6a44
longshot

Postby dogsbody » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:46 pm

Nice find, Longshot.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby seawings » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi All,

Boy, would I have loved to have walked THAT line with a digicam! :D
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

seawings
Site Admin

Return to Between the Wars - The 'Golden' Era - 1918 to 1939