Russell S. Robinson photos

From the Singapore and Southampton through to the Short Empire

Russell S. Robinson photos

Postby Philthy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:30 am

In late 1937 the Australian Civil Aviation Branch of the Department of Defence (CAB) recruited R.S. ‘Russell’ Robinson, an aeronautical engineer from the Bristol Aeroplane Company in the UK, to join the CAB’s engineering staff. Before proceeding to Australia, the CAB had Robinson visit several companies and institutions in the UK, France, the Netherlands, Italy and Germany to gather information about the current state of the art in aeronautical design and practice, as well as research being undertaken that might point to future developments.

Robinson was also given a particular brief “To make a thorough study in the limited time available, of the design, construction, and general operation and repair, of the Short Type ‘C’ Empire Flying Boat, its engines, airscrews and automatic pilot.” Accordingly, over the period 16 November to 21 December 1937, Robinson visited Shorts at Rochester, the Bristol Aeroplane Company’s Engine Division at Filton, de Havilland Propeller Division at Hatfield and British Sperry Gyroscope Co. at Brentford. Robinson's report survives in the archives of the Civil Aviation Historical Society (http://www.airwaysmuseum.com), and here are some photos from it.

Short S.20 Mercury G-ADHJ on the Medway at Rochester.

VH-ABB Coolangatta nearing completion with another Empire ‘boat hull in the jigs in the distance. In the left foreground is an early Short S.25 Sunderland Mk I.

Robinson was fortunate to get a flight in VH-ABA Carpentaria on its acceptance flight from the factory to Imperial Airways at Hythe. In this image, Chatham naval dockyard is in the foreground with the Shorts works behind the port outer nacelle.

VH-ABA Carpentaria in flight above cloud.
Aeradio Operator John G. 'Johnnie' Walker, Karumba Flying Boat Base, 1938.
Philthy

Re: Russell S. Robinson photos

Postby seawings » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:04 pm

What a cracking set of images.!

What I would have given to have the chance to have stood where the second image was taken from; wow, it looks like 'organised chaos'..!

The smells, the noise, the chatter, the sheer 'building' that was going on all gone now, forever.

Are there any other images available?
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby Philthy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:41 am

There are a few other images, but not of great interest. These are the key photos - they took a lot of work to clean up too!
Aeradio Operator John G. 'Johnnie' Walker, Karumba Flying Boat Base, 1938.
Philthy

Postby Cameraman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:31 am

Lovely shots.

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby fastaviationdata » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:38 am

Cool Photos and High Quality Images. Nice!
fastaviationdata

Return to Between the Wars - The 'Golden' Era - 1918 to 1939