Short MAIA G-ADHK

From the Singapore and Southampton through to the Short Empire

Short MAIA G-ADHK

Postby longshot » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:22 pm

After the Mercury launching project was over, MAIA was refurbished as a passenger transport for Imperial and BOAC until destroyed at Poole (1941?)....has anybody seen performance figures for it?....its wing in particular was substantially larger than the Empires....Mick
longshot

Re: Short MAIA G-ADHK

Postby schneiderman » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:55 pm

Possibly, but it will be two weeks before I can check
schneiderman

Postby longshot » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks....here's a 1939? view of Maia at Foynes (Eire)
http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls0002 ... ndh957.jpg
longshot

Postby longshot » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:48 pm

schneiderman wrote:Possibly, but it will be two weeks before I can check

Any luck with performance charts of MAIA?....I saw your post elsewhere about the data you've salvaged on the project....Mick
longshot

Postby schneiderman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:12 pm

Sorry Mick, I got laid low by the norovirus and had to cancel my visit. Hopefully I will be able to check this coming Monday or the next
schneiderman

Postby longshot » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:00 pm

No rush....the thing that obsesses me from looking at the photos of that bigger wing with the engines further out is why didn't they just stuff the Maia with fuel as a long-distance boat?
longshot

Postby schneiderman » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi,
Well, to answer your questions in reverse, there was no incentive to modify the S20 Maia as a long-range transport as Shorts were already working on the S26 'G' class and S30 long range 'C' class, both more optimal.

Now, no, I could not locate any performance information on Maia, I guess it was of far less relevence than that for Mercury. But the report I had in mind, which is a review of the weights and stresses on the aircraft, turned out to be something rather more interesting. It is an early design study for the aircraft which at that stage was a twin engined monoplane with a hull similar to the Calcutta. The engines were R-R Buzzards.
schneiderman

Postby longshot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks for taking the trouble, schneiderman, glad you found a new lead. So there was no data at all for Maia?....Mick
longshot

Postby schneiderman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:05 pm

Well its going to take me a while to work out just what there is, I was pretty sure the batch I checked was Maia so it came as a big surprise to find that it was an earlier concept. There were also performance curves for a 4-engined flying boat powered by Jupiter IX or XI, I haven't worked out what that is yet either. There is a large General Arrangement blueprint but that is too large to copy easily, about 1m x 1.25m. Most of the Composite material relates to Mayo's patents and attempts to market the concept although there are bits and pieces produced by Shorts, mainly relating to Mercury. I guess that element was the more crucial, Maia was really just a 'hack' aircraft to get it into the air.
schneiderman

Postby longshot » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:19 pm

Here's a nice shot of Maia ca.1939 at Biscarosse after conversion to ordinary transport? (via David Legg), a clipping showing the wider engine spacing and larger wing, and an aerial view with Mercury on top
longshot

Return to Between the Wars - The 'Golden' Era - 1918 to 1939