Telling their stories: Passengers, crew & staff.

From the Singapore and Southampton through to the Short Empire

Telling their stories: Passengers, crew & staff.

Postby pacificflyingboats » Thu May 23, 2013 4:05 am

Hi Forum Members

I am a journalist in Australia and am researching in my own time for a future book on the Pacific flying boat era.

This covers both the flying boat services between the U.K. and Australia/New Zealand and, of course, the U.S. to Hong Kong and New Zealand from the 1930s onwards.

I would welcome the chance to talk with passengers, crew members, staff and families, particularly in the U.K., N.Z. and Australia, with connections to those ‘golden days’ of flying boat travel. I have already spent three months in the U.S. talking with some of the wonderful people from the flying boat days of Pan Am.

As you know, the two great flying boat services, one from the U.K. and the other from San Francisco, met in the Pacific for the first time at Auckland Harbour.

My goal is to put a human face to the days when the journey really was an adventure in its own right. For example, it was a great pleasure to meet the late George Roberts, a gifted engineer and the oldest former employee of Qantas, who saw the first Short Empire flying boat land in Australia during its survey flight from the U.K.

Any help with be greatly appreciated in contacting families who may be willing to tell their stories.
Best wishes

Andrew

Pacificflyingboats
pacificflyingboats

Return to Between the Wars - The 'Golden' Era - 1918 to 1939