Seeking Shavrov Sh-2 detailed drawings

From the Singapore and Southampton through to the Short Empire

Seeking Shavrov Sh-2 detailed drawings

Postby cluttonfred » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:39 am

I am looking for detailed drawings (construction drawings, cutaway views, etc.) or photos (construction, restoration, etc.) of the Shavrov Sh-2 or related designs like the low-powered prototype Sh-1 or even the later cabin Sh-7. I am not looking to build a Shavrov, but I do hope to learn from the details of these designs to inform the design of a similar homebuilt aircraft. Thanks and regards, Matthew
cluttonfred

Re: Seeking Shavrov Sh-2 detailed drawings

Postby WhyMe » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:27 am

Hi Matthew.
Here are two sets of pretty detailed drawings of the Sh-2 in zip archives:
here (163KB) and here (300KB)
The catch is that all the captions are in Russian. Email me if you need help with translation.
WhyMe

Postby cluttonfred » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:36 am

Thanks very much! I already have those images, but these appear to be of higher quality. On the captions, the lower wings appear to have hinged or detachable sections both outboard of the floats and inboard as well. Is there anything in the captions that might shed light on that? Thanks again, Matthew
cluttonfred

Postby WhyMe » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:20 pm

Oh that's right, these images are available on the plans page @ seawings.co.uk :)
Anyhow, there are no captions for it but I know that the lower wings are indeed detachable. The hinges are shown in this image in the lower right corner. Basically each wing is held by four bolts.
The three circles on the lower wings are observation hatches.
I hope it helps.
WhyMe

Postby cluttonfred » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Thanks, that does help. Something else occurs to me, though I have no way of confirming it, about the landing gear arrangement of the Sh-2. With only the lower half of the large-diameter wheel below the hull bottom, it doesn't appear that the consequences of forgetting to raise the wheels for a water landing would necessarily be catastrophic. Does anyone know if that actually makes sense?
cluttonfred

Postby WhyMe » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:06 pm

The flight manual for Sh-2 specifically warns not to land on water with lowered wheels as it may cause the plane to nose-over or even break the hull.
It's a very light aircraft and the same manual prohibits to land on water with waves higher than 1 foot, so it sort of makes sense.
WhyMe

Postby cluttonfred » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:43 am

Understood regarding wheels-down on water and thanks. Thanks to a Russian member of the Secret Projects forum I actually found the complete Sh-2 manual (in Russian, of course) and will put it together as a PDF and send to Bryan for the site. I'd welcome any other tidbits you can share! I can look at the pretty pictures and even sound out a little Cyrillic (I took first-year Russian about 25 years ago) but I can't really read anything. Cheers, Matthew
cluttonfred

Postby seawings » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:32 am

cluttonfred wrote:Understood regarding wheels-down on water and thanks. Thanks to a Russian member of the Secret Projects forum I actually found the complete Sh-2 manual (in Russian, of course) and will put it together as a PDF and send to Bryan for the site. I'd welcome any other tidbits you can share! I can look at the pretty pictures and even sound out a little Cyrillic (I took first-year Russian about 25 years ago) but I can't really read anything. Cheers, Matthew

Gosh! YES PLEASE........!

Always wanted to see that manual; not read it you understand, but look at the drawings/pics.

Thanks a bunch :)
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Return to Between the Wars - The 'Golden' Era - 1918 to 1939