Shorts. S.8 Calcutta info wanted.....

From the Singapore and Southampton through to the Short Empire

Shorts. S.8 Calcutta info wanted.....

Postby seawings » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone got anything on the Calcutta?

I'm particularly seeking the following:

1) Photos and a general arrangement drawing of the cockpit area (seats, engine and flight controls,instrument panel, radio station).

2) The colour of the registration letters puzzles me. Black or blue, as we have seen both in contemporary aircraft. Also the colour of the line dividing the white enamel finish of the planing bottom and the Rylard clear varnish, and which, to my opinion may be the same as the registration letters.

3) The impression that the hull above the white planing bottom can be bluish in appearance, as depicted in some fellow modellers work and artists impressions, does not exactly follow my thinking. The questions as to what was the colour of the plated aluminium sheet used by Short Bros for the S.8, or was there a bluish "tint" caused by the Rylard clear varnish when applied are still unanswered.

4) The possibility that the tail flying surfaces could be painted in white instead of silver dope (as their reflectance to the sunlight is high, judging from the photos in hand), can really be dismissed?

...........and, anything else that can be uncovered. This is another flying baot that didn't really get the coverage that it deserved.

And, of course, the 'Holy Grail' is the Flight and/or Servicing Manual. I don't suppose anyone has that on pdf, do they???

As ever, I can't wait to see what's 'out-there'..!
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Re: Shorts. S.8 Calcutta info wanted.....

Postby WhyMe » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:34 am

I'm not sure if it's going to be very helpful but here is an article from the Flight magazine about Short Calcutta with photos and drawings of the passenger cabin:
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1928/1928%20-%200124.html

Overall, try searching the magazine archives; it might turn in something interesting.
WhyMe

Return to Between the Wars - The 'Golden' Era - 1918 to 1939