Supermarine Southampton Mk1

From the Singapore and Southampton through to the Short Empire

Re: Supermarine Southampton Mk1

Postby seawings » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:53 am

PS: I'm still looking for a copy of, or a pdf of, the Manual for the Southampton.

It's become my 'Holy Grail' to find.......

Anyone know of, or got one?
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby schneiderman » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:57 pm

Hi Steve,

Access to the nose gun is on the right hand side of the cockpits so its likely, therefore, that there are no controls on that side. Also some of the engine instruments are mounted on the engines themselves, though how they managed to read them looking back over their shoulders I have no clue.

Cheers

Ralph
schneiderman

Postby Stiz » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:01 pm

pm sent with my email seawings :)

Dont spose you have any idea what it looked like do you schneiderman ? :)
Stiz

Postby schneiderman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:03 pm

If you scroll back a couple of pages in this thread you will find a few images taken from the official manual. These show the construction of the frame that holds the pilots' seats and controls and also the panel. There is a cross-section of the hull that shows how the frame is mounted, offset to the left, in the hull of the Southampton II, it was the same in the I. The area to the pilot's right is just open, allowing them to access the hull and for the gunner to reach the nose gun.

I have a few photos that show the engine-mounted instruments. PM me if you want copies
schneiderman

Postby AD1958 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:13 am

Hello there,
the construction of my MK1 in 1: 8 scale goes solangsam forward. Who builds because even on a model or is already finished? From the pterosaur on the IL 2 to DH-2 all have successfully get into the air. Here's a video of my DH-2 with 2 meter wingspan in scale 1: 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4TjlPUStJQ

AD1958
AD1958

Postby schneiderman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:01 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to determine how many RAF Southamptons were build with wooden hulls. At first I thought that this would be simple and that after the metal hull was proven all subsequent production would be in metal, but photos show that not to be the case. It is not a straightforward question as something like 24 of the wooden hulls were replaced by metal during their service life, so a photo of a metal hulled version does not necessarily mean it never had a wooden one.

So has anyone seen/got photos of any of the following aircraft with a wooden hull (dark topsides, white anti-fouling paint below)

S1161 - S1162
S1230 - S1236
S1248

After S1248 I'm pretty sure all RAF aircraft were metal hulled

Thanks
schneiderman

Postby schneiderman » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:53 pm

OK, so I appear to have drawn a blank with my question in the post above, so try this one.

In Andrews and Morgan, Supermarine Aircraft since 1914 they say that Denmark purchased a single Southampton powered by two AS Jaguars. This is then repeated in more recent books, probably using it as an authorative source. However I can find no evidence that such an aircraft ever existed, neither in Supermarine drawings nor elsewhere. Has anyone anything tanglible to show that the aircraft was planned, built or saw service?
schneiderman

Postby AlexNortonesq » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:56 am

Any possibility that this is a reference to the Supermarine Nanok. Wikipedia says of it: "The Nanok (Inuit language: "Polar bear") was a three-engined development of Supermarine's successful Southampton flying boat, designed to meet a Danish requirement for a torpedo-carrying flying boat. A prototype was ordered on 17 June 1926, and the aircraft first flew on 21 June 1927. Testing was disappointing, and despite modifications the aircraft could not meet the specified performance and was rejected by the Danes." It "was renamed the Supermarine Solent, and offered for sale as a torpedo bomber, but failed to sell. It was therefore converted to a civilian 9 seater air yacht for the brewing magnate Arthur Ernest Guinness. This was registered as G-AAAB in August 1928." The 3 engines on it were the Armstrong Siddeley Jaguar IV, 14 cylinder engines.

Not sure if Andrews and Morgan have a separate entry for the Nanok.

Just a thought - Alex Norton
AlexNortonesq

Postby schneiderman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:47 am

Morgan and Andrews say that when the Nanok/Solent was declined, as it did not meet specifications, the Danes purchased a standard Southampton with two Jaguars instead. Personally I doubt that although it is always possible that Supermarine made an offer for such an aircraft. The design of the engine mounts facilitated installing any engine of appropriate power and the Jaguar would have been suitable. However there are no layout drawings for a Southampton adapted this way in the archive, I have yet to see a photo of the aircraft and the online register of Danish military aircraft doesn't list it, although I guess it could have been allocated the 99 number from the Nanok.
schneiderman

Previous

Return to Between the Wars - The 'Golden' Era - 1918 to 1939