Deperdussin

From Curtiss through to the Felixstowe 'boats

Re: Deperdussin

Postby schneiderman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:41 pm

I begin to wonder whether Deperdussin ever made two aircraft that were alike! As a rough rule of thumb would it be reasonable to assume that the six strut cabane indicates a twin-row Gnome is fitted? The front struts do look as it they could be additional bracing for the front bearing support.

Inclusion of the Schneider contests in the broader hydro aeroplane circus in 1913 and 1914 certainly complicates identification. The numerous crashes and repairs leading to hybrids and quick fixes doesn't help either.

Cheers
schneiderman

Postby TASSE » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:07 am

I see what you mean about struts but the aircraft with 4 struts is in the MUSEUM of AIR and SPACE, Paris and i was told that it was a second aircraft. To me it looked as though it was made of spare parts or badly restored, added to which they have changed the colour of it three times which makes me wonder how much they know about it.

The 1912 version (4 struts) had no head rest whereas the 1913 version (6 struts) did have. This confuses things even more as the 1914 photo above shows the version with 4 struts and no head rest. Why remove 2 struts and a head rest two years later ?

Cheers Roy.
TASSE

Postby schneiderman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:24 pm

Yes indeed, it does look very like the 1912 Gordon Bennett machine, and also the one flown by Crombez at Riems in 1913. The wings are broader chord, which is reasonable given the extra weight of the floats, and of course larger tailplane and fin.

Cheers
schneiderman

Postby TASSE » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:48 pm

Here is another photo of the Windermere Deperdussin.

TASSE.
TASSE

Postby TASSE » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:57 pm

The British Deperdussin Company was founded in 1913 and was employing F. Koolhoven as adviser.

As far as i can find out only one seaplane was built. It was flown at Osea Island, Essex by yet another Anglo/Irishman Commander Porte of Felixstow fame.

A photo of it taking off.

The strange bracing under the wings caries the wing tip control.

TASSE.
TASSE

Postby TASSE » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:10 pm

Just discovered that the Gordon Bennett racer was originally built as a sport plane and there were at least 5 machines constructed. This explains the different rigging etc.

Roy.
TASSE

Postby schneiderman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:26 am

It would appear that they produced batches of monocoque fuselages to a particular design to which they then attached long or short span wings, 4 or 6 strut cabane and alternative tailplanes and so on to suit specific needs. No doubt many of the aircraft underwent modification during their lives and appeared in a variety of guises. Certainly makes identification a bit of a challenge.

Cheers
schneiderman

Postby schneiderman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:11 am

Here is a second shot of Prevost's 1914 Schneider racer, not too good as it is a scan from Aeroplane. Two Morane's behind and a Nieuport in the distance.

Some nice shots of the 1912 monocoque and one of the racers from the Smithsonian public resource collection here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/publicreso ... /494077728
schneiderman

Postby TASSE » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:05 pm

Yes, identification is confusing if not impossible.

Thats a nice photo of Prevosts 1914 aircraft, thanks.

Also thanks for the link. There are some very interesting pics on it. One pic is labeled Borel but its obviously a Deperdussin. Its a shame that these photos cant be downloaded.

Roy.
TASSE

Postby schneiderman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:31 pm

Roy,

They are downloadable, double click and they open in a new window from where you can download. No hires. option unfortunately.

The aircraft labelled in error as a Borel is one of the three long fuselage two seaters that entered for the 1913 Monaco hydro-aeroplane meeting. I blieve it to be either "19" of Prevost or "20" of Janoir as the third entrant, that of Devienne, appears to have had a different float strut arrangement, based on a small photo in Flight and the overview photo of all the aircraft moored in the harbour.

Cheers

Ralph
schneiderman

PreviousNext

Return to Early Days to the end of World War One - 1918