Deperdussin

From Curtiss through to the Felixstowe 'boats

Deperdussin

Postby TASSE » Sun May 03, 2009 8:50 pm

Its amazing that this Deperdussin was repaired over night and the next day won the first Sneider trophy race.

How many Deperdussin float planes were produced & has anyone got photos.

TASSE.
(sorry. this post should be under float planes).
TASSE

Re: Deperdussin

Postby schneiderman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:11 am

Roy,

I've been going through as many '13 and '14 photographs as I can locate and every Deperdussin present at the hydro-aeroplane events at Monaco appears to be different, presumably all built to meet customer specifications.

In 1913 there were two floatplanes numbered "19", Prevost's planned entrant, which appears to have suffered engine problems, and the substitute two seater and eventual Schneider Trophy winner, that is shown in your photo. Espanet's aircraft, numbered "20" appears to be the same as Prevost's two seater appart from the cabane struts, it was damaged in a crash. The other three aircraft, which would have been numbered 21, 22 and 23, all failed to enter and I cannot find photos, sources say engine troubles plus broken backs, as with "19". Total for 1913 - 6

In 1914 the aircraft of Janoir (or possibly Gilbert), numbered "4" is similar to Prevost's original "19" of the previous year but has three rather than four warp control wires to each wing and a smaller tailplane. Prevost's aircraft, numbered "1", looks like it is a floatplane version of the full monocoque aircraft in which he won the Gordon Bennett and took the airspeed record in late 1913, small tailplane and two warp contol wires to each wing. There were a couple of other aircraft entered that year but neither turned up. Total for 1914 - maybe 4

I cannot locate any photos of float mounted aircraft prior to 1913

So that may well be the finally tally given that Deperdussin was in jail from the end of 1913 and the company wound up in mid 1914.

Cheers
schneiderman

Postby Pondskater » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:39 pm

Admiralty aircraft "M1" (later "7") supplied in April 1912 on trial at Windermere June 1912 with Lakes Flying Company single float. Later that year returned to wheels.

Pondskater

Postby TASSE » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:24 pm

Thank you gentlemen for all this valuable information.

Schneiderman, if you should stumble across a photo of the Gordon Bennett racer on floats i would love to see it.

Pondskater, that photo of the Dep over Windermere is a British Deperdussin (made in England) with a braced wing. Any more pics of it would be welcome as in my spare moments i am composing a book on the history of Deps and Spads

Thanks again TASSE.
TASSE

Postby Pondskater » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:21 pm

Nope - it was French.
The Admiralty sent Lt Longmore to Paris 11 April to oversee progress. It was flown to the UK by the Deperdussin test pilot for acceptance. Then sent by rail to Windermere 5 June 1912. There it was fitted with a locally built float. British float conversion of French aircraft
(Sources: P. Connon, Shadow of the Eagles Wing + R Sturtivant G Page, Royal Navy Aircraft Serials and Units 1911-1919)

This from Mr Connon's book:

Pondskater

Postby TASSE » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:15 am

Thank you for the correction.

TASSE.
TASSE

Postby TASSE » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:38 am

The 1914 Schneider race was also entered by an Anglo/Irishman Lord John Carberry who flew in his Morane-Saulnier.
His engine failed and he borrowed a Deperdussin only to find the same thing happen to that.

The caption on the rear of these photos states :- "Lord Carberry practices for the Schneider Trophy event in his Morane-Saulnier.

My thanks to Lord Peter Carberry for the photos.

TASSE.
TASSE

Postby schneiderman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:05 am

Indeed, Janoir. Breakdown between brain and typing finger there

There were indeed five named entrants in 1913, numbered 19 - 23, but assuming all actually had aircraft available there would have been six in total as Prevost clearly had two machines and transfered his race number from one to the other. Weymann appears to have done the same with his Nieuport, there are two different airframes carrying the number 5.

Roy, the photo I suspect to be a 1913 Gordon Bennett type racer on floats is in Eve's book on the Schneider Trophy, its not too clear but looks to have a full monocoque fuselage. I'll scan it and post it later today.
schneiderman

Postby schneiderman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:43 am

Roy,

This is the 1914 picture you requested. Now I have scanned, zoomed in and enhanced I'm less sure as to the origin of the airframe. It shares the short all monocoque fuselage of the 1913 Gordon Bennett racer and the wings and tailplane also look to be the same. It lacks a headrest and also, as far as I can see, the short +/- triangular wing extension at the front adjacent to the cowling. The cabane is 4 strut rather than 6 and the cowling could be shorter, suggesting a single row monosoupape rather than a twin row. The fin and rudder are larger, as you would expect on an aircraft modified to a floatplane. Given that the company was in a dire financial state at this time I would still hazard a guess to it being the same basic airframe, but clearly room for doubt.

The tail float is different from that on all the other Dep floatplanes, its faired into the lower fin and fuselage. Float mounting is all new too, but then again every Dep floatplane I look at as its own unique system. Pity the float design isn't clear. Anyone have other photographs of this aircraft ?(note the black "1" on the fuselage, most 1914 photos are of aircraft "4")

Cheers

schneiderman

Postby TASSE » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:58 pm

Thanks for an extremely interesting photo. With regard to the Dep racer, there were two examples. The Bennett entry had six cabane struts while the second aircraft only had four so it looks as though the second aircraft was put on floats and flown by Prevost.
The aircraft on the slipway looks to be that of Carburry but the number 2 is a different shape than in the photos above.
No 3 for the event was the Tabloid but there is a Morane in the background with a 3 on it. This problem is probably due to the fact that there were more seaplane events beside the Schneider which were held at Monaco during that period.

TASSE.
TASSE

Next

Return to Early Days to the end of World War One - 1918