Deperdussin

From Curtiss through to the Felixstowe 'boats

Re: Deperdussin

Postby TASSE » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:12 am

You were certainly correct with the cabane strutting on the Gordon Bennett types. The aircraft with four struts had a single row rotary and the six strut cabane was for a twin row rotary.

Thanks for the downloading advice but i lost the "Borel".

Cheers Roy.
TASSE

Postby schneiderman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:58 am

Hi Roy,

The "Borel" is here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/publicreso ... 494114887/

Judging by the position of the motif on the rudder I thing this is "20", it is painted very slightly higher on "19".

Cheers
schneiderman

Postby TASSE » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:39 pm

Thank you,i have located it.

Roy.
TASSE

Postby schneiderman » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:19 pm

Roy,

Having done a bit more research I can confirm that the two Morane Saulniers numbered 2 and 3 in the background of the shot of Prevost's Deperdussin are those of Garros and De Molinais. The photograph was taken on 8th April 1914, the day of the French elimination trials to pick their 3 entrants for the Schneider contest.

It isn't too clear but Carbery could indeed have been allocated race number "2" for the Schneider Trophy in 1914, it depends on how the start order was decided. If it was US, UK, France, Switzerland with each team fielding all their entrants consecutively then Carbery could fit between Weymann "1" and Pixton "3". I find no evidence that Thaw, the possible second US entrant, made a serious effort to compete. Another possibility, although not probable, is that the photographs were taken at San Sebastian (Spain) in the summer of 1913, the scenery in the background does not contain anything I recognise as definitively Monaco. However the presence of a water rudder does suggest 1914 as being far more likely.

Cheers

Ralph
schneiderman

Postby TASSE » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:15 pm

Hi again, it is possible that the Carberry photos were taken in Ireland as he lived near here, but i dont recognize the scenery although i know it well.

Cheers Roy.
TASSE

Previous

Return to Early Days to the end of World War One - 1918