Can anyone help ID this one, called "Falcon"?

From Curtiss through to the Felixstowe 'boats

Can anyone help ID this one, called "Falcon"?

Postby akradecki » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:00 am

Hi all,

New to the forum, and could use some help. I run the Vintage Air blog, and recently acquired an original photo that shows a boat similar to an Aeromarine 40 or 50, but with a double cockpit, and other slight differences. Unfortunately, the tail isn't in the pic. It has the name "Falcon" painted on the side, but I'm not sure if this is what the manufacturer called it, or the name given to it by the owner. Because of the river boats in the background, I was thinking of Benoist because of their St. Louis locale, but haven't seen any indications that they built a four-place (2+2) boat. I'm stumped...anyone have a thought?

The photo can be seen here: http://vintageairphotos.blogspot.com/20 ... alcon.html

Many thanks!

Alan Radecki
akradecki

Re: Can anyone help ID this one, called "Falcon"?

Postby dogsbody » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:59 am

Welcome! I'm sure one of our knowledgeable members will be able to identify that boat. Unfortunately, I am only the moderator and lack any useful skill.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Re: Can anyone help ID this one, called "Falcon"?

Postby WhyMe » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:19 pm

Very interesting find, Alan!
I've been researching for a few days now and I have to admit I still don't know what it is.
But I compared your picture with pretty much everything I have photographs of and I do think that it looks awfully similar to a Canadian Vickers Viking.

Here's a good picture of a Viking that shows quite a lot of similarities:

1. The wings. They are slightly swept (a feature not found on too many boats of that era) on both aircraft and the angle seems to be very close if not the same. The number and position of struts seems to match, as well as the shape and position of the underwing floats.
  2. The cockpits. Both are two-seaters and their locations on the fuselage seem to match perfectly.
  3. The engines might or might not be the same but, again, their positions match, they both seem to be V12 in-line motors (in fact, the name of the boat "Falcon" on your picture might have been inspired by the choice of the V12 Rolls-Royce Falcon engine) and drive four-bladed props.
As for differences, they are pretty obvious: the Viking is an amphibian, has an additional crew member position in the bow and has only one windshield. But if you ask me, all of them can be a result of not-so-extensive modification.

So, once again I don't know what it is, but if I had to guess I'd say it's a modified Canadian Vickers Vicking. By the way, the riverboats in the background also might point to Canada, where similar sternwheelers were in service until 1950's.

I hope it helps :)
WhyMe

Return to Early Days to the end of World War One - 1918