Lakes Waterbird and Waterhen

From Curtiss through to the Felixstowe 'boats

Lakes Waterbird and Waterhen

Postby DavidLegg » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:42 am

Can any member point me in the direction of information and, in particular, drawings for the above seaplanes that were flown from Windermere? I have various 'Putnams' that refer and also the book Wings on Windermere that has relevant references but anything else would be helpful.
David Legg
Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record
DavidLegg

Re: Lakes Waterbird and Waterhen

Postby AquilaAudax » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:51 am

David

I would suggest that Michael Goodhall's book British Aeroplanes before the Great War, Schiffer, 2001 could a good source. I don't own a copy (unfortunately) but found it very useful for my research into the Radley-England Waterplane.

Cheers, Ray
AquilaAudax

Postby DavidLegg » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:54 pm

Thanks for that Ray. Kind regards.
David Legg
DavidLegg

Postby WhyMe » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:34 pm

Here are some drawings of Waterhen found online:

And this one is from the Flight magazine of 1912:
DETAILS OF THE "WATER HEN". - (1) The front section of the machine, showing the float ant its flexible connection to the cellule. (2) One of the outrigger fittings. (3) A balancer, an air sack mounted on a spring board. (4) Mounting of the oil tank. (5) Water rudder, working in con junction with the air rudder so that the biplane may be readily steered at slow speeds on water.
WhyMe

Postby DavidLegg » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:01 pm

Many thanks.
David Legg
DavidLegg

Postby Pondskater » Wed May 14, 2014 11:00 pm

David,

Waterhen was the second of the two Curtis type aircraft flown by the Lakes Flying Company. It was the two seater and was described in Flight:
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/ ... 01134.html

The full history of Windermere aircraft is in Peter Connon's books. Sadly it appears much of the original material he drew on was destroyed in a flood so they have become more essential as reference works. They are still available second hand - http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... nnon&sts=t

Waterbird - built by A V Roe - was the first aircraft to fly from water in the UK but only carried one person. It was destroyed in a hangar collapse in 1912 before Flight (or anybody else) described in it. See here: http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/ ... windermere

However, the current Lakes Flying Company charity does have a single drawing of the aircraft which is reproduced on their Waterbird Project page - http://www.waterbirdproject.com

You will see it is shown as a wheeled aircraft. She was tested by AV Roes as a land plane to prove her and then fitted with floats to Edward Wakefield's stepped design and made in the Lake District. You can see his elastic sprung attachment system in the drawings of Waterhen,

There's a fair bit around, especially scattered through the Flight archive - but sadly the information for Waterbird is, understandably, scarce having been destroyed within six months of its successful flight.

I hope that helps

AllanK
Pondskater

Postby DavidLegg » Thu May 15, 2014 6:29 pm

Many thanks Allan - this was for someone I met at an aviation awards ceremony a while back and will, I am sure, be helpful.

Cheers.
David Legg
DavidLegg

Return to Early Days to the end of World War One - 1918