Daily Mail Round Britain Race 1913

From Curtiss through to the Felixstowe 'boats

Daily Mail Round Britain Race 1913

Postby DavidLegg » Sun May 12, 2013 2:27 pm

As already mentioned on the Catalina pages of this forum, there is a plan for Catalina G-PBYA to commemorate the above event by re-enacting and completing the original course. See..
http://projecthawker2013.com

Jeff Boyling, one of the Catalina's shareholder pilots, is masterminding the exercise known as Project Hawker 2013 and he will be flying as second pilot throughout the trip. All being well, I shall fly as Crew Chief for the second half. Do any members of this forum have any information, articles, links photos etc that they can share or point me towards? Anything on any of the original planned participants and the event itself would be helpful although we are particularly keen on material as related to Harry Hawker and his Sopwith Waterplane, these being the only original participants that actually took part. Jeff has some material already but we are keen to accumulate more.
David Legg
Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record
DavidLegg

Re: Daily Mail Round Britain Race 1913

Postby DavidLegg » Tue May 14, 2013 9:47 pm

TonyR wrote:Regarding the Great Yarmouth check-point, I suppose a salt-water landing off the original RNAS location at South Denes is out of the question? Would a landing on Fritton Lake be possible, or would the easier option of Norwich Airport have priority?

Tony - we do not land G-PBYA on salt water. That is not to say that we would not but a fee would have to be fixed accordingly. In fact, for operational reasons, we will not be making any water landings on this trip.
David Legg
DavidLegg

Postby DavidLegg » Wed May 15, 2013 5:46 pm

TonyR wrote:Why is a twin-engined amphibian being promoted, when a single--engined float-plane (seaplane) would do the job more efficiently and economically? It would also be more faithful to the original Sopwith Waterplane. I believe that such a machine would be the natural choice for this retrospective.

Tony - the reason is that Jeff Boyling who is the prime mover behind Project Hawker 2013 is a shareholder pilot of Catalina G-PBYA and not surprisingly wishes to use 'his own' aircraft. Simple as that. Thanks for your interest.
David Legg
DavidLegg

Postby DavidLegg » Wed May 15, 2013 7:50 pm

TonyR wrote:David,
Thanks for the reply. I just think it strange that the 1913 Waterplane event should have been chosen, if there are to be no water landings.

Perhaps I should have added that Jeff is an Australian and has a particular interest in fellow Australian Harry Hawker who flew the Sopwith Waterplane in 1913 plus, 2013 is the centenary whereas the 1911 centenary is long gone and, to the best of my knowledge Harry Hawker did not take part in the latter. Time to move on I think.
David Legg
DavidLegg

Return to Early Days to the end of World War One - 1918