Sunderland Mk.I RAF Roundel Sizes, etc......Help!

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this iconic WWII RAF flying boat: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

Sunderland Mk.I RAF Roundel Sizes, etc......Help!

Postby seawings » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi All,

I'm building a 1/32 scale model of a Short Sunderland Mk.I and I need some help in knowing more about the standard RAF Roundel/Fin markings carried by the all-over silver versions, just pre-war.

What I need to know is what are the correct standard sizes of the upper-wing roundels, the lower wing ones. the hull ones and the fin flash..? I need the actual marking sizes in feet/inches as I'm going to convert that to 1/32 scale and have a company manufacture the paint masking roundels set for me to use. I'm pretty certain the designation was 'Type 'A' but as to the size no idea and so far looking through my large reference pile, I've not come across anything written down.

Also, was there any exact details regarding the font and size of individual code letters as well...?

All assistance gratefully received....!

Many thanks,
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Re: Sunderland Mk.I RAF Roundel Sizes, etc......Help!

Postby seawings » Thu May 18, 2017 6:52 pm

Anyone...?
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Re: Sunderland Mk.I RAF Roundel Sizes, etc......Help!

Postby WhyMe » Thu May 18, 2017 7:44 pm

There's some good general info about RAF roundels in this wiki article. Some typical sizes are mentioned there but nothing specific to Sunderlands, unfortunately...
WhyMe

Return to Short S.25 Sunderland Reference Archive