PB2B-2 Catalina VH-ASA at Sydney, Australia

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this iconic WWII USN PBY flying boat: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

PB2B-2 Catalina VH-ASA at Sydney, Australia

Postby flyernzl » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:00 am

I have just returned home from an epic trip - a trans-continental journey across Australia, Perth to Sydney, in the Indian-Pacific train. Four days and three nights travel, 4352km at an average speed of 80km/h.

This involved not much sleep, so I arranged two days in Sydney to rest and recover. Thus I had the opportunity to revisit the Powerhouse Museum and admire P G Taylors PB2B-2 Catalina VH-ASA 'Frigate Bird II'

The museum itself is part of the Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences, hence the front entry displays the MAAS logo.

The transport section id down on the floor 1 level, and the Catalina is strung up in the rafters so getting close is a real challenge.

Close-up of the nose showing the Australian and Chilean flags

A nearby signboard gives a potted history

If you seek a more detailed version, go to Geoff Goodall's aviation history website
https://www.goodall.com.au/australian-a ... linas.html
and look for VH-ASA.

There has been rumours that the Powerhouse will be closing within the foreseeable future and the exhibits moved elsewhere. Their website says that this is now not going to happen, but when chatting the staff last week they say it is.
Take your choice!
flyernzl

Re: PB2B-2 Catalina VH-ASA at Sydney, Australia

Postby DavidLegg » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:28 pm

Nice - thanks for posting Peter. By coincidence, on the very day you posted those photos, a friend of mine returned my copy of Frigate Bird by PG Taylor that I had loaned to him (he had not long returned from a trip to Easter Island and knew about Taylor's flight via there to Chile from Australia so I suggested he read it). It is the best book of its genre that I have ever read.
David Legg
Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record
DavidLegg

Return to Consolidated Catalina Reference Archive