Trans African Catalina Trip

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this iconic WWII USN PBY flying boat: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

Re: Trans African Catalina Trip

Postby Kiwithrottlejockey » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:08 am

Not longer after the Catalina was flown to New Zealand and became ZK-PBY, it visited Gisborne where I was living at the time. I cannot recall exactly which year it was, but I was talking to Marlene Gray at Omaka Aerodrome during Classic Fighters 2017, held over the recent Easter weekend, and she said that Gisborne trip was one of the first undertaken by the Catalina Club after they took possession of ZK-PBY, so as the Cat arrived in New Zealand in 1995, it was possibly sometime during that year. I was lucky enough to go on a scenic flight in the Catalina out over Poverty Bay and around the area of Gisborne city and I took a number of photographs during that flight and scanned them several years ago. So here they are....

Since the, I have flown in ZK-PBY serveral times, including another scenic flight around the Gisborne area, a flight in her from Gisborne to Napier, a flight around the Blenheim area in 2007 when the Catalina was at Classic Fighters, and at least three times out of Wanaka Airport, with two of those flights including water landings and takeoffs in Lake Wanaka.
Kiwithrottlejockey

Previous

Return to Consolidated Catalina Reference Archive